Sunday, July 24, 2016

Professional

How many of these introduction posts have I written thus far? Quite a few. While it could be a simple manner of copy and pasting them all, I have found it interesting to craft a unique introduction each time based on the current context of my situation (mood, train of thought, etc.). Here I go again!

About Ian:
My name is Ian Lewis. The few business cards I have left in my wallet are tattered and dirty and proclaim that I am a "Professional Archaeologist". That is what I went to school for, have a master degree in, and have been practicing professionally for over the past five years. While I was still completing my thesis a few years ago, I was hired by a small, privately owned cultural resource management company where I have worked since. My work has allowed me to travel the coast of Washington, meet and work with countless private, local, and government agencies, research and present new information, and publish countless reports. One part of the job that I enjoyed the most was outreach; whether it was teaching construction workers what to look for so they do not accidentally destroy cultural material, or taking an artifact collection to a high school for science night, these teaching opportunities truly excited me.

Interest and Experience in Education:
Because of this, I decided I had to switch paths. After finishing the end of the 2016 school year as a substitute teacher with Tacoma Public Schools, I am confident now that my place truly is within the classroom. I always enjoyed being in school, especially history and social studies, so much so that I dedicated a significant portion of my life to continuing to study them. While I equally enjoy being out in an actual field or trench covered in dirt and  searching for knowledge, I now know that I will find happiness and purpose in a classroom (which I have heard referred to as serving in the trenches, though with boogers and glitter taking the place of real mud I assume). It is an environment of knowledge that I seek, and I can truly find that while in the classroom, hopefully inspiring students to set goals and become passionate about something as my teachers once helped me.

I cannot wait for my classroom adventure to begin. Teaching 6th or 7th grade social studies/history in the future is what I desire the most. My mentorship for the coming school year will be with a past teacher in the University Place School District. I am already learning much and hope to build my knowledge and relationships as I continue with the education program at SPU and my mentorship once it begins in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment